Summer recipes: Berry bliss summer oats and easy chocolate orange mousse
30 May 2016
Most of us have our go-to recipes, be it for a mid-week lunch, a dinner party pleaser or a sumptuous cake that Nigella Lawson would be proud of. In case you’re stuck in a food rut, however, here are some of our readers’ fail-safe recipes from around the world to add your repertoire. Bon appétit!
Chloe De Nazelle, Scottish
“Being a nutritionist, I’m so often asked for breakfast ideas for busy families. Refrigerator oats are quick and easy to make – and with so many different flavour options such as mango, cocoa banana, apple cinnamon and even peanut butter, you can have one for every day of the week!”
Berry Bliss Summer Oats
• ¼ cup rolled oats
• ¾ cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
• ¼ cup low fat yoghurt
• 1 teaspoon chia seeds
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (“I use unsweetened organic jam” – Chloe)
• ¼ cup halved fresh raspberries, or enough to fill the jar
1. Into a jar put oats, milk, yoghurt, chia seeds, vanilla extract and jam. Screw on lid and give it a good shake until combined.
2. Add the fresh raspberries and stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to three days. Eat chilled.
Sarah Anderson, British
“For all those missing Terry’s Chocolate Orange, this mousse is a fantastic quick-fix substitute.”
Easy Chocolate Orange Mousse (Serves 6)
• 200g plain chocolate
• 200ml whipping cream, whipped
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
• 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
• 100g full fat creme fraiche
1. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of water until runny. Leave to cool.2. Lightly whip the cream in a bowl. Add the orange juice and zest.
3. Add the creme fraiche to the chocolate and stir until smooth.
4. Fold the whipped cream into the mixture and spoon into six ramekins.
5. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Who said summer was only for salads? Check out more recipes over on our Wine and Dine page.