We love lots of things about living in Hong Kong – but one of the best has to be its close proximity to so many fantastic Asian holiday destinations! Travel experts Flight Centre have rounded up five of their favourite gorgeous getaways, all conveniently located under 5 hours flight time away from our fair city. Bon voyage!
Quick Getaway: Hoi An, Vietnam
When to go: February to June
- Be charmed by the Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with a picturesque blend of East-meets-West architecture, ancient temples, winding canals and colonial shop-houses.
- Catch some rays at An Bang Beach, a tranquil spot perfect for soaking up the sun and sea.
- Feast on local specialty cao lau, a delicious pork noodle soup available from most restaurants in the area.
- Enjoy a more relaxing form of transport – explore the countryside with a cheap and scenic cyclo tour, whilst a boat ride on the Thu Bon River is the best way to catch the sunset.
- Stay at The Nam Hai, a luxurious beachfront retreat offering the ultimate in indulgence.
Island Bliss: Bali, Indonesia
When to go: May to September
- Discover Bali’s more tranquil side at the magnificent cliff-top Uluwatu Temple – and be rewarded with spectacular panoramic views.
- Befriend some very cheeky critters in their natural habitat at the Ubud Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary.
- Hang ten and hit the surf at Kuta Beach – its consistent waves make it a favourite for beginners.
- Chill out with a sundowner cocktail (or three!) overlooking the crashing ocean below at AYANA Rock Bar.
- Get swept away by the undulating beauty of the iconic Tegallalang Rice Terraces.
- Stay at Anantara Seminyak, an upscale beach resort located just 10 minutes from the district’s chic boutiques and bars – and take advantage of the hotel’s gorgeous infinity pool and soothing Balinese massages!
Culture Vultures: Yangon, Myanmar
When to go: October to March
- Be awed by 2,500 years of Burmese spirituality at the gold-plated, diamond-encrusted and jaw-droppingly ornate Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Marvel at Karaweik, an intricate replica royal barge moored on Kandawgyi Lake’s peaceful eastern shore.
- Haggle for authentic handicrafts, jewellery and antiques while soaking up the colonial architecture at the atmospheric Bogyoke Aung San Market.
- Hop aboard the Circular Train at Yangon Central Station and ride the three-hour loop for an unparalleled insight into real Myanmar life.
- Stay at Belmond Governor’s Residence, an elegant 1920s mansion nestled within the city’s leafy Embassy Quarter.
Family Fun: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
When to go: May to September
- Grab your buckets and spades and hang with the locals at Tanjung Aru Beach; there’s sand, sea and plenty of snack stalls for refuelling stops.
- Become jungle explorers for the day at Kinabalu National Park, Malaysia’s first UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Take a speedboat out to Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, then swim and snorkel around the park’s stunning islands, surrounded by spectacular underwater wildlife.
- Stay at Shangri-La Rasa Ria Resort & Spa. If the fabulous pool, luxurious rooms and huge selection of daily activities don’t keep the kids happy, then the onsite nature reserve and its resident population of orangutans certainly will!
Snow Bunnies: Niseko, Japan
When to go: November to April
- Carve up the fresh powder – An’nupuri offers a gentle introduction for ski novices, while Grand Hirafu suits more experienced skiiers and snowboarders.
- A snowmobile ride offers a fun alternative way to get your daily adrenaline fix.
- For a more leisurely option, take a snowshoeing hike around Niseko’s beautiful forests and lakes.
- After a hard day on the slopes, a soak in one of Niseko’s fifteen onsen hot springs is an absolute must to soothe any aches and pains.
- Stay at the sophisticated Ki Niseko, a ski-in, ski-out resort whose onsite onsen, excellent restaurant and invaluable valet will ensure you get the most from your stay.
Flight Centre’s expert travel consultant team can help you book everything holiday-related and tailor-make a trip around your needs. Call them on +852 2830 2730 or visit www.flightcentre.com.hk for more information.